This week’s Crafty Friday tutorial is extra special as it’s also Laura’s birthday (yay! ?) birthdays – as well as Christmas – are the perfect excuse for making some fabulous handmade gifts.
You’ll find a number of handmade gift ideas in our Crafty Friday posts; including this one!
This week we wanted to show you how to make these beautiful Crochet Bow Hairclips. They are so easy to make – a perfect project for any crochet beginner – and they look super sweet! You make them using any left-over yarn, so the cost really is minimal.
For this tutorial you’ll need to know how to Chain Stitch (C) and Half Treble Crochet (Htr).
What You Will Need
- DK Yarn (a fair amount of Left-over yarn or 1 x new ball)
- You can use any type of yarn to make these we used both 100% Acrylic and 100% Cotton yarns.
- 5mm Crochet Hook
- Plain Curl Hair Clips
- Knitters (or Darning) Needle
- Hot Glue Gun (or Strong PVA Glue or Craft Glue)
How To Make A Crochet Bow Hairclip
- Find the end of your yarn and in whichever way you prefer, make a Slip Stich on to your crochet hook.
- Chain Stitch for 25. You can do this by wrapping the ‘yarn over’ the hook, and pulling it through the loop you already have on your hook.
- You can make your bow bigger or smaller by adding or deducting to/from the number of chains.
- At the end of the chain, wrap the ‘yarn over’ your hook and Half Treble Crochet (Htr) in the third chain from your hook.
- With the yarn wrapped over the hook, push the hook through the third chain from the hook.
- Wrap the ‘yarn over’ again and pull through.
- Wrap the yarn over your hook again and pull it through all three stitches on your hook.
- Pull the yarn snug after each stitch.
- Work along the chain, making a Htr in each chain until you reach the end.
- After your last Htr, Chain Stich 2.
- Flip your completed row to the other side, and continue doing Htr down the other side of your row of Chain Stitching. Go into the first loop, don’t miss any.
- Repeat for another two rows, one on either side, so you have a total of four Htr rows and one Chain row.
- At the end of the last row, chain one. Cut your yarn leaving a tail and pull completely through the chain, pull tight to knot.
- Fold each end of your crochet piece in to the centre. Thread your Knitters (Darning) needle and stitch across the middle to hold in place.
- If you prefer to, you could just Glue the end to the centre. You’ll need to be careful not to apply too much.
- Cut a length of the same or a contracting colour yarn (this will be for the middle of the bow.) Add a small amount of glue to the back of the bow and press the end of your new yarn to it.
- Wind the yarn around the middle, keeping it quite tight – finish whenever you’re happy with how it look, you can use as little or as much as you want to.
- When you’re happy, cut the yarn (if you need to) and glue it to the back of the bow. Glue the bow to your Hair Curl Clip. Ta-dah! You’re all done! 🙂
To make our Crochet Bow Hair Clips we used our New Fashion 100% Acrylic Yarn we also used Katia Cotton as well as True Blue Indigo Dyed Cotton.
We hope you enjoyed this little tutorial and (as always :-)) we’d love to see any that you have made too, so feel free to send those to us via social media or our email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy Crafting and Weekend-ing!